NAPL Removal and Remediation
Mobilization and emulsification of free and adsorbed non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPL).
Compounds like petroleum hydrocarbons and chlorinated solvents don’t readily dissolve in water. As a result, they’re often found either in their pure form (non-aqueous phase liquid (NAPL)) or adsorbed to soil particles. But in these phases, they are difficult to recover or remediate.
Surfactants are compounds that can improve the recovery and remediation of NAPL contaminants.
NAPL recovery and remediation
PetroSolv™ is a non-ionic biosurfactant specially formulated for remediation applications. It’s effective with many common contaminants, including petroleum-based fuels, heating oil, and chlorinated solvents.
ETEC designed PetroSolv™ for use in several types of situations:
- Recovery - Increase NAPL mobility and recovery by reducing the surface tension between the NAPL and water layers.
- Remediation - Improve conditions for aerobic or anaerobic bioremediation by reducing the mass of NAPL and soil-bound contaminants.
- Emergency response – Clean petroleum spills from road surfaces, eliminate sheen, and reduce fire and explosion risk.
- Equipment and tank cleaning – Clean tank interiors, drill equipment, and industrial facilities when added to a hot water pressure wash.
- Vapor suppression - Eliminate odors and reduce volatilization of hazardous chemicals by spraying directly onto stockpiles and exposed excavations.
- Shipped in 5-gal jugs
- Clear liquid
- 100% soluble
Combine PetroSolv™ with ETEC’s bioremediation solutions
For environmental applications, PetroSolv™ can be applied to contaminated soil and groundwater to remove significant contaminant mass before active bioremediation.
A common scenario is to apply PetroSolv™ through temporary or fixed wells. Once applied, it will emulsify free and adsorbed NAPL, making it more mobile. The contaminant-laden groundwater can then be extracted between 12 and 72 hours later. It’s also effective when circulated continuously using our DO-IT™ or ISD™ systems.
After extraction, the smaller mass of remaining contaminants will be more favorable for remediation using ETEC’s aerobic or anaerobic treatment solutions. These products will support sustained degradation of petroleum hydrocarbon or chlorinated solvent contamination.
Applying PetroSolv™ through a recirculation system is an effective way to mobilize and recover NAPL.
Are you ready to reach your cleanup goals faster?
Speak with an engineer today.